He may not be the easiest person to track but we found him anyway. A talent with 2A’s is too hard to miss. An artist and an actor (2A’s like we said), Miika Benedetti has had his work exhibited in various exhibitions and publications. Read on to find out more about this bright-eyed wonder.
Where do you live now and how long have you been living there?
I am currently in Beijing and I have been living here for 2 years now.
What are you currently working as?
I’m an artist and an actor.
What languages are you able to speak?
I’m able to speak English and some not-so-perfect Mandarin.
Describe your personality.
Maniacally creative, yet poised.
What kind of music are you listening to now?
Currently, I’m listening to The Weekend, 60′s Japanese girl groups, John Legend, Nicki Minaj, and Amy Winehouse’s postmortem album, Lioness.
Which do you spend more time on; TV series, movies or books? Name three to five of your favourite titles.
I enjoy reading and the books I am currently reading are:
1) Confessions of a Mask by Yukio Mishima – WWII Japan, Sadism, Identity
2) Talent Is Overrated by Geoff Colvin – An interesting theory/case studies of “Talent Vs. deliberate practice” in creativity
3) Tell All by Chuck Palahniuk – A fictional murder mystery about old Hollywood
4) The Death of Mao by James Palmer – Banned here (very informative)
5) Outrageous Fortunes by Daniel Altman – Interesting predictions about the global economy (may be banned I’m not too sure)
Where should we stay on our visit to Beijing?
The Opposite House in San Li Tun Village – I love their lounge, staff, art exhibitions and restrooms. You can also check out Yi House Art Hotel in 798 Art District. It’s a restaurant that has great food and an excellent bar and the lounge caters to many artists and collectors who often stay here when touring Beijing.
Which restaurants in Beijing would you recommend us to visit?
1) Hercules in San Li Tun Bar Street for American food and good drinks
2) The Middle 8 near San Li Tun Village for amazing Yunan style food
3) Purple Haze in Gongti for Thai food
4) Ai Jiang Shan in Lido for Korean food, good and generous lunch special
Which cafes in Beijing would you recommend us to visit?
MAAN Cafe in Lido. There are lots of fake trees, big furniture and giant lamps. Tables are marked with colour coordinated teddy bears, and they blast on 90′s hip-hop music.
Share with us some awesome stores in Beijing.
Mega Mega Vintage, Triple Major and Vega Zaishi Wang.
What is Beijing’s best kept secret?
Everyone wants to look at the Great Wall, and the best way to do it is to go to The Commune in Yanqing county, a hotel which is so-so but at least a place to use while visiting the wall on a day trip. The Great Wall at this location is unrestored and is often totally empty. You can explore the Great Wall all to yourself in silence with the sounds of fluttering butterflies and sparrows.
We should visit your city because …
You want to see a type of society that doesn’t really exist elsewhere and witness history being made through the transformation of China.
What are the last 3 cities you visited?
Hong Kong, New York and Tokyo.
Which city do you plan to visit next?
What do you do in your free time?
I go to cafes and hang out for hours, walk around Gulou, mill through things that street vendors sell and visit the galleries.
Describe your personal style.
I guess I would classify it as Conservative Goth.
What inspires you?
I am inspired by anyone who is happy.
Which would you choose; Android, Blackberry or Iphone?
What are some of your favourite Iphone applications?
1) WeiXin – A Chinese app which is basically a walky-talky and has lots of cool features. My ID is Miika1 – do say hello!
2) Temple Run – A game I play daily to get through taxi rides.
Do you have a profile in any social network or your own blog ?
I have a Weibo (blog); www.weibo.com/miikabenedetti. I’m in China so naturally, I don’t have Twitter or Facebook here.
- Liyana Meer